Decorating on the home front

Sunday 27 January 2013

My sister has taken a liking to cake decorating and I like to dream that one day we will own a super sister cake decorating business together and dominate through cake... It would be called 'Suga Sista's' or something to that effect... Well one can dream.

Earlier in the year a cake decorating store opened in town and it just happened to be right after I finished my TAFE beginners course. I started reading a lot of cake decorating books and spending 30 minute plus sessions at Latorta looking at all the equipment and materials I had been learning about. I am incredibly grateful that the store opened this year as it really got me on my way to cake decorating extraordinaire... Ok so it will happen some day I am hoping!

Latorta started running classes and I organised for my sister and I to attend the beginners round class which was taught by the lovely Helena from Luna Cakes. I really encourage you to check out her work, she is finishing up her masters at Planet Cake and her cakes are immaculate, highly detailed and perfect in every way. Yes I think I am in love with her skills and I also hope I can decorate with her skill one day.


This is my gorgeous sister Susie and I with our finished cakes and this was her first ever cake course!  Look how talented she is already!

My favourite part about cake decorating is the actual decorating, but ganaching a cake is right up there!



I love applying ganache to cake and watching the delicious cake with its soft crumbly nature being sealed in with delicious ganache and becoming a perfect structure with straight edges.  I could spend hours (and trust me on occasion I have) putting ganache on with the spatula and using the scraper to perfect the edges.  And I think this is often the most time consuming factor of cake decorating for me - not sure about other cake decorators but for me its where I spend a bit of time.  Ganache seals in the cake but also creates a smooth and clean canvas to apply fondant, and bumps, lumps or holes here are reflected through your fondant on the outside of the cake- you want to get it right.  That being said its a very therapeutic process and I get lost in it... to the point where my husband has to tell me to just stop.



This is my ganached cake from the course - see the lines in it - still a little more work to do before it is perfect but it is almost there.

And these are just some progress pics along the way- trust me it is soooo much fun going to classes and learning all the tricks!   


I have many books that I love to read for tips, techniques and new skills but nothing beats going to a class.  Helena was able to give us some really useful information and I asked loads of questions and got some really good tips.  Plus I love to decorate with my sister and I have met some amazing people at classes as well.

My next class is an evening series of sugar flower classes at my local TAFE and the days couldn't pass faster!  Aside from this class I am eyeing off several classes at other cake decorating schools as well- trust me the class wish list is growing!

I'll report back on my next cake adventures soon.









share this on::
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Digg
Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Sunday 27 January 2013 and is filed under ,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply