Sneaker Freakers

Saturday 1 June 2013

Call me crazy but I just joined up for the Oxfam Trailwalker 2013! I am incredibly excited about doing the 100km walk again but I also have nervous butterflies tying up crazy knots in my stomach in anticipation of what lies ahead.  June is almost here and the event is late August, which doesn’t leave too much time for training but I am sure we can get there.

The Oxfam Trailwalker is a 100km walk around the Hawkesbury River, Sydney and you’ve got a grand total of 48 hours to complete the walk.  I entered the event in 2011 with my husband, Dad and my mate Simon and had a fabulous pit crew to help us along the way.  We completed the event in 33hours and had a one hour nap just before starting the last leg of the journey.

The Sneaker Freakers team and pit crew

In hindsight I talk about the event with pride and a sense of accomplishment.  But I tell you what- 100km is no easy challenge for the body or the mind.  There were times on the track where we had to overcome:
  • incredible pain (try having swollen feet that have been walked on for about 20 hours and there’s still hours upon hours to go!)
  • loneliness (walking at 1am with a small headlight to see the ground just in front of your feet and no one speaking a word)
  • exhaustion (sleep deprivation and walking for so many hours really wears you out!)
  • loss (my husband got injured at about the 60km mark and couldn’t complete the event- it was surprisingly hard on the team’s spirit).


All that aside though, I’m really excited about training with Jess my gym buddy and two of her friends who I am yet to meet.  I’m looking forward to some focus with my training as I’ve been doing weights for quite some time without a goal.  And mostly I am looking forward to raising much needed money for all the amazing projects that Oxfam funds around the globe.  

I’ll be posting training progress and fundraising updates in the lead up to the event so feel free to post motivationals in the comments section for my teamies and I!

share this on::
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Digg
Add a comment »

This entry was posted on Saturday 1 June 2013 and is filed under ,,,,,,,,,,,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply